Ærø Kunsthal is located in the Vestergade – in a historic merchant’s house – built in 1783 by Iver Petersen. The merchant was successful with his work and so the building was expanded in 1791 to a warehouse with three floors. The success continued and so the main building on Vestergade was extended in 1821 to the courtyard.
The merchant court was taken over by the ship’s captain and Norwegian vice-consul Joseph Petersen. From the middle of 1860 there was a shop in the vestibule.
The merchant’s house then became the property of the merchant Peter Eriksen Jensen, who in 1871 built a stable building towards the Vestergade. From the beginning of the 20th century the house alternately became a shop for kitchenware, castings and a radio business. Denmark’s first burger bar was opened here in the 1980s and it stayed that way until 2016.
From 2016 the building was vacant until it was bought in 2017 by the artist Beth Mohr and transformed into the Ærø Kunsthal.
The size of the merchant’s yard testifies to the successful times of Ærøskøbing as a seafaring and trading city. There were connections to the duchies in Germany, the Baltic Sea cities in Sweden, Poland, the Baltic countries and Norway.